Sunday 26 July 2015

New not-so-native Ingredients

I was thrilled when I landed some native produce- not native to my country, that is. The excitement usually overshadows the doubt there is when working with new food and the hundred and one questions there like,'Okay I have tasted it, but what does it really taste like?'

My initial idea was to bring together blood limes and mascarpone, regardless of how confident I was that the two would never create a stand alone dessert. I simply couldn't get over the sheer complexity of the cheese; after all these years of eating the terrible stuff, I was not going to play around with it this time.

Speaking of blood limes- they happen to be a citrus hybrid! And they give 'caviar' just like finger limes.



Chayote. After almost a moth of googling and texting people asking what it was, I accidentally found it searching under the 'cactus' tag. A vegetable, chayote has an almost pear like smell. Guess I knew a sorbet was coming way before.





I am more keen on trying to incorporate more breads and venoisseries in my desserts and step away from cakes and crumbs for a while (I will contradict this in my next post [spoiler alert]). Now that I have learnt how to deal with puff pastry in a 40 degree weather, that was my first choice.
I added some blueberries which though not many, significantly lift the dish as a whole as I left the blood lime on as a caviar..

Puff Pastry, Raspberry Macarpone, Mascarpone anglaise, Blood Lime, Blueberries,
 Chayote Yuzu Sorbet


No comments:

Post a Comment