Monday 27 July 2015

Cake Inverse

Given my profound interest in philosophy, I cannot help myself but attach meaning to a dish. Once every few months however...
The brain ticks, connecting seemingly trivial incidents disguised as a neoteric idea.

My favourite 'modernistic' piece of equipment is by far the siphon. I should not touch topics pertaining to the disasters I have had with it, or the first time I fell sick after using it.
It offers a very interesting texture- incorporating lightness without actually 'whipping' the base, per se. Sure, it does not produce a very stable foam, but the few moments after being expelled from the nozzle make up for it lack of shelf life. Unless, you freeze it that is.
In that case, you have landed yourself the technique to incorporate more fat in your base than a usual ice cream could deal with and aerate what would not be great to churn. (exceptions: soft serve)

Always warning my friends to steer clear of raw eggs, my mind ran along the idea of a cake batter. I had been thinking of using eggs in a more explicit manner, but when have they been tastier than in a cake? (more exceptions: scrambled eggs.) With a piece of a simple chocolate cake in hand, months of incubated ideas began to amalgamate- I would freeze a cake batter. Made of  baked cake. An inverse cake.

My short lived creative streak decided to travel an extra mile this time. Trying to introduce umami or salty in new ways, I was hell bent on adding crispy chicken skin. All was great, except I never had actually butchered a chicken.

After spending (just) 20 minutes simply taking the skin off in one piece, I put it in the oven with a tray on. Although next time, I try puffing it up. An hour and a half and some salt later, I removed the crispy chicken skin from my sight for obvious reasons.

Certain 'universal' flavours like caramel, vanilla and chocolate ease the adaption of some of the rather far out elements in desserts. I had my frozen chocolate cake, so I further added a vanilla custard and the chicken skin to a crispy caramel.

Acidity is just as important in a dessert as salt. My personal preference dictates addition of some aroma, in a manner that engages olfaction noticeably- enough to juxtapose a general taste perception which involves the tastebuds, and one which relies heavily on olfactory receptors. For this reason, I added the zests of four different citrus- gondhoraj, Tahitian lime, citron and blood lime. I had to be careful of the fat levels on this considering my frozen cake was heavy, so I used guar gum to thicken the milk for the ice cream to get it to the desired texture. To reinforce the zests in the ice, I made a yuzu syrup to go with it.




frozen cake batter, Ice cream of many zests, Vanilla custard, Yuzu Syrup Crispy chicken skin, Crispy chicken skin caramel










No comments:

Post a Comment