Tuesday 10 November 2015

The many forms of soy

I remember reading about kinako a while back- on how the Japanese used it as a powder and sprinkled it on things like icing sugar. Turned out, it was actually roasted soy bean powder, and considering it couldn't be too hard, I gave it a go. This is my first dessert with this beautiful product with only a single word in my vocabulary to describe the taste- toasty.

Now that it has cooled down significantly enough to temper chocolate, it was time to return to doing chocolate bars while I could. after rosting the whole soybeans, I soaked the in some water overnight and blended them into a pste. This paste was turned into what was a ganache that revealed the tangents coffee, chocolate and roasted soy shared.

Now that I was using soy, why not use miso for salt? With no cream to make a traditional caramel, I made a butterscotch candy instead, adding the miso and vanilla before leaving it out to set and cool.

The taste of kinako like I said before, had a little nudge of coffee. I've seen chefs use ground coffee beans but they've never really worked for me- it tastes too much like grit in cream. Up until late... when I accidentally landed on just then right coffee grind, with a crunch rather than 'sand'. Mixed with a little palm sugar to not let the bitterness of the coffee be overwhelming for the Indian palette,

Side note: chocolate and coffee are pretty acidic, so I ditched the idea of a galgal pate de fruit. This could be your  cheat day protein bars perhaps...

Kinako Ganache, Miso Vanilla Butterscotch Caramels, Coffee and Palm Sugar



No comments:

Post a Comment