Friday 27 January 2017

The adult version of ice cream floats

I got my hands on some nice whisky while I was headed back home for a vacation last year. With a tendency for excessive shopping at airports, I ended up with more than just that. Among all the mess was a coconut ash chocolate bar. My pre-conceived notion of coconut ash being bitter was anything but right.

It had been a long time since I had had a good chocolate-caramel combo- one of my favorite chocolate components was almost a sorbet-like chocolate ice cream (or an ice cream with a much lower fat content). Pairing it with some (obviously salty) caramel, I gave it a twist with black lava salt which went well with the coconut ash chocolate ice cream.

In some ways, this is an adaptation of a chocolate, salty caramel and yuzu dessert that was the signature of a place I staged at. With my mind set of simpler desserts, I decided to turn it into a whisky sour float- take the citrus our and turn it into a granita. Not only does it add the the "rocks" for the whisky, it added an extra texture for the pallete.

The dessert is served with the components stacked and a shot of whisky (I used black label in this instance) poured into the bowl at the table.
Coconut ash and chocolate ice cream, black lava salt caramel. yuzu granita and a shot of whisky




No comments:

Post a Comment