Friday 1 January 2016

Coriander Lentil Praline with Lemon Myrtille

On my recent trip (not so recent anymore) to the southern part of India, we visited Hyderabad in a bid to explore the zenith of Indian food- particularly the biryani. Bound to run into new ingredients, I was not disappointed in that department.
Forget fennel seeds and mukhwas post Indian lunch, greet Sukhmukh (or dhania daal; literally meaning coriander lentil). Served toasted, it has a nice refreshing flavour of coriander seed. Paired with the crunchiness of the lentil, I now see why it's such a popular 'aftermint'.
This ingredient made me look back at my days at pastry school and reminded me of this coriander hazelnut praline we did. Still one of my favourite bars after all these years. Deriving inspiration, it only felt right to turn this Sukhmukh into a praline. I did not let the lack of fat in the lentil be a problem; turns out, olive oil complements the flavour well given there is a day or two's worth of a maturation period.

Paired with a dark chocolate lemon myrtille ganache to further bring out the acidic notes if coriander, it added a change in texture as well. I somehow felt that white chocolate for the shell went best with it, bridging the two components with its milky notes and high fat content.


No comments:

Post a Comment